Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Animals of Japan (and many many other places)

I spent a lot of time in Japan visiting zoos and aquariums, which was pretty neat. The Morioka Zoo was nice, but the Ueno Zoo in Tokyo and the aquarium in the Tokyo Skytree were awesome.

The aquarium was super neat because it was designed using principles of Japanese art, so it was kind of like an art exhibit that happened to be made of fish and jellyfish and penguins. Different sections featured different principles of design, and explained the significance for each. There was an awesome corridor of jellyfish, and a really cool dark hallway that had lighted tanks of different varieties of goldfish.

The Ueno Zoo was cool because it was built into Ueno Park, which was right outside our hotel. The pens in the zoo were very natural and big and open-air. Sometimes I wondered if there was enough keeping the animals in! It also had awesome buildings of nocturnal animals that were very very dimly lit so the nocturnal animals would be active. There were bats and aye-ayes and my favorite, a tiny mouse deer, the smallest hoofed animal of all!

Anyway, I’ve compiled a short video of my favorite animal encounters in Japan zoos and aquariums. Hopefully I’ll see some more wild wildlife once I’m there to stay!


No comments:

Post a Comment