Sunday, June 28, 2015

My Job Rules (because there are no rules)

Last week I officially started my job at OASIS English Private Conversation School. When I was here in May, I went to visit Tyler at his work at a public high school here in Morioka. He wears a suit to work every day and the students wear uniforms. Everyone is super polite and the students I talked to seemed kind of shy about speaking English in classes. Overall it was a very reserved environment. So that's what I was prepared for the Japanese school/workplace to be like. OASIS was a pleasant surprise.

Basically, my job is to chat with nice old ladies who are very excited to tell me all about their weekend trips to visit their grandchildren or go to nearby onsen (Japanese hot springs). I chat with people who are getting ready to go on a trip abroad, or have just come back. I hear about people's dance classes or piano lessons or their sick cats. With our younger students, I play a lot of games. Even with the adult students I sometimes play games! In one of the most advanced classes last week we played Cards Against Humanity. My job rules.

My coworkers at OASIS are awesome and friendly (although two of them are leaving to go home to the US and Croatia, hence me being hired). Instead of a school, it kind of feels like a big living room where friends drop by to hang out. And as if it wasn't great enough already, there seems to be an endless supply of candy and cookies and cakes that students bring as they return from their awesome trips. Bringing back small gifts of food for your friends when you take a trip is a big-time custom in Japan. And it's big-time delicious.

In case it's not obvious at this point, I love it there. Which is super cool considering that I got this job through Facebook and blindly agreed to it. Lucky me! 

2 comments:

  1. It make very happy that you are more than satisfied with your choice of jobs. I like the idea that you work with all ages of folks.
    One should find joy in their work as well as a sense of fulfillment and service. You may have been lucky enough to have found it all.
    I'm so proud of you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mom (above). So proud of you, and it sounds so wonderful to just sit and chat with folks about whatever they want to chat about. Wahoo! Keep up the good work, and eat lots of cookies.

    ReplyDelete