Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Little Ceramic Friends

As previously promised, here's a picture of my little classical Russian toys:


I've been slacking on my mini-blog-Russian-lessons, so this seems like the opportune time. 

First, we have the куритца = kuritsa = chicken. I was disappointed with the painting of the куритца because I really liked it before it was painted. But it's still cute I guess.

Next, there's the лощадь = loshad = horse. The лощадь is my favorite! He's very красный = krasnie = red, and majestic. 

Last we have the рыба = reba (like the country singer) = fish. The fish is technically not really a traditional Russian toy figure like the chicken and the horse. But fish are all over in Russia, so I figured he should count! Never have I seen so many types of dried/smoked/somehow preserved fish in a normal grocery store. I'll take a picture for you all someday.

So there you have it, four new Russian words! Extra points if you can slip them into an everyday conversation just to confuse someone. I do that with English all the time... not to confuse people, but just because I now speak a highly adapted dialect called Russlish that comes from wanting to practice Russian and also trying to make people understand me when I don't know the words for things. But it's better than nothing!

1 comment:

  1. Lovin your little ceramic critters. And Goldie and Nemo have fallen in love with Reba and want you to bring her home to be part of the Family. Can she live in their fish bowl?

    ReplyDelete